Social infrastructure is indispensable for progress; L&T, as India’s leading builder of major infrastructure projects, is equally committed to developing projects that will contribute to the quality of life. This includes schools, hospitals, skill training institutes, water supply & distribution and sanitation facilities.
Building India’s Social Infrastructure – Our Goals & Activities
Focusing on the many challenges around project implementation, we propose to work towards the following outcomes from our Social Infrastructure programmes, based on need assessment and feasibility.
- Water & sanitation (availability of safe drinking water and proper sanitation facilities) and electrification of villages (off-grid renewables)
- Education - Improved access to education (increased enrollment in pre-school, children attending neighborhood schools) and improving quality of learning (better school infrastructure, better teaching-learning process)
- Health - Improved access to quality health care (expanding infrastructure of health centres, increased number of people accessing quality health care)
- Skill building - Enhancing employability of youth (enhancing training capacity, improved infrastructure of skill development centres)
The following activities are proposed over the coming months to achieve the above goals:
Water & Sanitation
- Provide integrated water management solutions which will include (building check dams, Rain Water Harvesting, making drinking water available close to village centre etc.)
- Create awareness on good health and hygiene practices in schools, villages etc.
- Providing toilet blocks in schools, communities and homes
- Providing decentralized renewable energy solutions for communities
- Repair / build Balwadi & Aanganwadi schools, classrooms, libraries, science laboratories, playgrounds, boundary walls etc.
- Repair / build roads, provide transportation for children to reach school / Balwadi / Aanganwadi safely
- Provide e-learning, digital facilities in schools
- Create access and provide training to integrate the differently-abled children by ensuring building of disable friendly infrastructure
- Build health centres with essential facilities
- Set up mobile clinics to provide healthcare at the doorstep
- Equip the health centre / mobile medical unit / dialysis centre with quality personnel, facilities and equipment
- Awareness building camps with access to free screening
- Enhance health services for adolescents
- Strengthen primary health centres and equip them for pre & post natal care
- Expand skill development centres and provide support to youth and school drop-outs through other programs
- Create credible certification and assessment system with industry participation
- Develop qualified and experienced trainers
- Set up vocational training institutes for women in smaller cities to enhance employable skills like nursing, sewing/weaving, beautician, pre-school teacher, food processing, childcare etc.
- Support skills training for the differently-abled
- Provide skills training in tool & die, painting, computer/ IT, automobile etc.
- Build market connectivity